[A/S] Re: Stick shift for towing?

Jerry, I tow a 6500 pound  Excella with a Dodge Cummins diesel 3/4
ton with the 74RE auto transmission, and I believe the stick-shift/
auto decision is finely balanced. I prefer the auto for city traffic
and maneuvering in campgrounds, but you have to be careful not to
overheat the auto trans. I presume the new auto trans has the same
behaviour as mine as regards torque converter lock-up. When the
throttle is released, for example at the top of a grade, the torque
converter unlocks, and you will be relying on your  brakes all the
way down that mountain pass. When comparing the two options, I
suggest you add in a couple of thousand dollars to the auto cost for
an exhaust brake with a circuit board to force lock-up of the torque
converter when the brake is in use, and a trans fluid temperature
gauge with the sender unit in the hot line from trans to cooler. (NOT
in the pan). I've used a BD exhaust brake and Autolock controller.
Even this will only give you lock-up in 3rd and overdrive. If towing
heavy in the mountains I would want lock-up in second, and this would
require an aftermarket valve body in the auto transmission. I've also
added a BD Pressurelock. This increases trans fluid line pressure at
low RPMs to help prevent clutch slippage. With either stick or auto,
I presume you would choose the factory tow package. It's not an easy
choice, but if I had to choose again, I'd probably change to the
stick shift, as that's what I've driven for 40 years, and overhaul
costs are much lower. Good luck. Nick.