Re: [A/S] Yellow ceiling

The insides of 70' AS's are made of vinyl coated aluminum OR , for the
end caps, plastic ? fiberglass ?. Short of actual physical damage,ie
razor blade, the vinyl seems to be very tough.  Cleaning it often needs
several types of cleaner because it consists of tobacco tar, cooking
grease, air polution, and aging plastic and foam out-gassing. Sound
pretty terrible. Except for the tobacco, none of it is all that
terrible. Thirty years of being closed up most of the time will do that.

I personally find Simple Green a good degreaser, citrus based ones and
ammonia seem good on tobacco, and a solvent like Goo Off for the worst
of it. I would recommend a scrubbing brush, not abrasives. The vinyl
surface is textured and the brush gets into the crannies better.

the End caps are another matter. Many cleaners just take the paint off,
and the stains hav actually penetrated the more pourous plastic.  (Think
spagetti sauce and tupperware) I have resorted to carefully repainting
the worst areas, fussy matching and tiny brushes.

The Plastic in the bathroom is hard too, all of the above stains plus rust.

Zap Fiberglass cleaner with less than green scrubbers will take a thin
layer off, and make it much better, but some stains are there to stay.

I chose to live with some patina.

Daisy (Cleaning Monster and LED Queed)