Re: [A/S] Towing Information

Hi Chuck and Lynn,

Your decision to repack bearing and use new tires is right on the money. One
or two spare tires (mounted) wouldn't hurt.  If you find the Airstream has
mongrel wheels, then a quick stop at a tire shop can take care of that.

You could take a few wire nuts, bulbs and dielectric grease with you - just
in case. It might save you the trouble of hooking up temporary lights.  If
you have a tool box with all your electrical "stuff" in it, take that, too.

I suspect it's safe to assume you'll have your "wrenches" tool box with you
and you'll re-torque the lug nuts at least once during the first hour of
towing.  Make that a mandatory check after the first 50 miles.

> I am sure a number of you out there have purchased a project trailer,
> can I get some suggestions as to what equipment we should take along( blocks,
> jacks etc.)  This is a long haul, and any information would be helpful.

I'd suggest thinking in terms of something going wrong that you aren't
prepared to deal with today - this afternoon. Pack the little things, i.e.
clips to route the pigtail and whatever else might inconvenience you far
from home.  You'll leave that stuff in the new Airstream anyway.

An extra ball of a different size could come in handy, i.e. in case a
previous owner changed what was standard in 1963 - or in case you see a
crack in your current ball when you do the magnifying glass inspection.

If you don't have the Flying J Directory, pick up one of those - or the
"Trucker's Friend" which shows all the RV Friendly Truckstops.  Both
directories are usually available at truckstops ($20).

Keep in mind that if the weather is hot and humid, you can rent a shower
($6) at most truck stops. We've done that and it's the cat's meow.  Neither
Sandie nor I look even remotely like truckers. The key criteria is the $6
and a williness to wait until our number is called.

If you haven't dropped a list of all the RV Service Stations (i.e. Airstream
dealerships along the way, SOB dealerships, etc) into your Palm Pilot,
that's always a good list to have with you (remember to recharge the
batteries before leaving). A simple starter source for creating this list is
any of the thick Directories on Campgrounds.

Same goes for your Emergency Road Service dues - make sure dues are paid up
and cover both vehicles.  Pack the reflective triangles where you can find
them quickly.

Along the same vein, take enough boards with you so you can drive one wheel
up on them and leave the other hanging. That will make changing a flat tire
far simpler than using a jack.  It will also make adjusting the brakes (star
nut on each wheel) a cakewalk in any shopping mall parking lot (assuming you
have the brake adjusting tool --- a piece of carpet is nice to have while
laying under the trailer).

During your trip, put a note pad and pencil on the seat so you can keep a
diary of your first maiden voyage with this rig. Have a template on the
first page to cue what you want to document - consistently.

Although I've probably mentioned things you'd do anyway (and some you
wouldn't), keep in mind this trip will be remembered for years to come.
You'll tell your grandchildren about it when you're too old to tow anymore.
You might "will" this Airstream to one of them.  They'd appreciate the
documentation and it'll help them when they brag about their grandparents to
their kids.  <grin>

Stay sharp and drive smart,

Terry
1963 22' Flying Cloud