Re: [A/S] "JENNY" once again

Arnie, many if not most of the less expensive generators produce their rated
output at 3600 RPM. The more expensive units (like in the megabuck
motorhomes) run at 1800 RPM instead -- both multiples of the 60 cycle
electricity standard in the U.S.  As you would expect, the 1800 RPM gensets
run quieter and presumably have about half the wear of the faster running
type. I suppose the fuel consumption would be likewise affected. I have an
old Onan generator that came out of an early motorhome that has a cast iron
block and very heavy copper windings in the generator that runs at 1800 RPM.
The unit is so heavy it isn't really practical in a mobile application but
it's fine as a standby power source for the occasional power outages we
have. For boondocking (or the Internationals) I'll probably get two of the
Honda EU2000 gensets which are light and when wired in parallel will run the
AC, microwave, etc. and keep my battery charged. That's the plan.

Jim Greene
' 68 Tradewind