Re: [A/S] Re: Newbie Towing Questions

Hi Millie,

That trailer weighs more than your van can safely and legally tow.  My advice
is to get a tow vehicle suited to handling that heavy a trailer.

This is a real hot button for me. I once went to a dealer with my Suburban
and said I wanted a trailer the suburban can tow.  They sold me one, a
Skyline by Nomad.  They hooked me up with a Reese weight distributing hitch
and anti sway cams things......  I was so excited when I left the dealer with
my new stuff... then I got on I-85.  Holy crap...... it was 5 miles of sheer
terror til I got to the first exit.

I had no control of the Suburban at all.. that trailer was in control of the
whole rig.

I went back almost in tears...... they readjusted the hitch and the guy and I
went out together... another white knuckle ride....

I demanded my money back! The manager said no because my check was "already
in the computer."

Well, 45 minutes later they gave me my money back... it wasn't a pretty 45
minutes.

Trust me when I say you want to get something bigger than you need..... get
something that's rated to tow about 20% more than your trailer weighs.....
WET.  The dry weight of the trailer, 5220#, doesn't matter in the equation
... you have to add all the "stuff" you'll have in it plus propane, water,
and the contents of the grey and black tank.... add at least another 1,000#.

Good luck.

Hunter