Re: [A/S] AC (replacing the 13500 Dometic Penguin)

Hunter, you have the 15  with heat pump, right? Did you need a new drip pan
when you replaced the original? I can't get much info from the guys at
Dometic. See below.
===========
In a carefully worded email, designed to obtain the best possible guidance
concerning their products, I asked Dometic Tech Service:

>Subject:  Can I use your new 15K BTU RV air
>conditioner?
>
>I have a '91 Airstream Limited Special Edition travel trailer. It has your
>"Duo-Therm" Dometic Penguin 13,500 BTU AC installed. It appears the AC
>compressor has failed, and I am evaluating a replacement AC unit.
>
>I understand the Airstream brand uses a special drip pan as a part of the
>installation so the condensate can be conducted down through the internal
>condensate hose, rather than being dumped onto the outside skin of the
>trailer. I understand this limits which model AC units I might be able
>to  use, because not all units would work with that pan. Some people are
>telling me I must replace with the same model as I have now.
>
>I think I would like to upgrade to your 15,000 btu model, and possibly add
>the heat pump feature as well. Can you tell me if these units would be
>compatible with my existing Airstream condensate drip pan?
>
>Thanks for your help
>
>Jerry Flanders  South Carolina

Their one-liner response:

>You can us the 15K BTU air conditioner because they both require the same
>hole size in the coach.

Now you are all as well-informed as I am...

Jerry  4404