[A/S] Surge Brakes

I have had one, just one experience with surge brakes, and it was not a good
experience.  Maybe the system was not "set up" properly, but the trailer (a
u-haul type) pushed and bucked and swayed my car all over the road.  And it
was a big, heavy car ('74 Mercury Marquis w/460 engine).
I did have electric brakes on my first A/S, a '62 Land Yacht 22' sgl axle.
Worked great.  Pulled about 2000 miles a year.  Had wheel bearings packed
and brakes checked at the start of each season, which some may regard as
"overkill", but peace-of-mind and safety are worth it.
Jim in Colorado