[A/S] Re: Hensley jacknife

Maurice:

Yours is the most complete and comprehensive explanation of what
happened to us.

I will share it with my wife for sure. I printed it.

Thank you for your support

A word on the Yukon XL.  I drove the Excursion and a few trucks and
spoke to owners.  Because I have an older Airstream (1983) which has
dry weight of 4950 and wet of 7300 I can do OK.  The first two trips
showed very much improved all around trailerability.  I even had a
panic stop already (typical idiot cutting me off) and it behaved
impeccably.

Tow ratings are interesting.  GM seems to have more conservative tow
ratings than Ford.  The Ford Expedition is rated at 8800 lbs. with
the 5.4 engine.  I drove it and it is an excellent station wagon, but
the Suburban/Yukon XL is superior for towing.  Longer wheelbase, and
more horsepower.  But GM rates it at 7500 lbs.  You figure. But just
to be sure, since the 7500 includes only a driver and no cargo, it is
only the two of us in the Yukon with an empty "trunk" and it will
always be that way.

I also live and work in Miami, and have on occassion to go downtown
to office buildings, so I need to be able to handle that as well. The
Yukon XL will handle most, but not all office buildings.  I was
tempted to consider the regular size Yukon, but immediately put it
out of my mind. It is funny, if we did not have the accident I would
have probably gotten a regular Tahoe/Yukon now.  So it worked out to
our benefit.

The Excursion is a non starter in any public garage here, or in
metered parking.

Separately on Hensley:  I am in the process of writing them a letter
incorporating my thoughts on the accident to accompany my
registration card on my new Hensley.  I also think it is the best
hitch around,(no other choice this time around) but their marketing
it as a replacement for a poorly conceived tow vehicle/trailer combo.
is absurd.  I have seen the video and it does show a Dodge Intrepid
towing a 34 ft. Airstream.  Only an idiot would do that.   I intend
to incorporate some of your thoughts in the letter.

Thanks

Manny