Re: [A/S] Automatic vs manual transmission

Kelly, you have picked a good place to get an opinion from a lot of people
with a wide range of towing experience.  Another suggestion for you, pick the
truck brand you want to consider and then go to the on-line forum for that
brand and ask questions.

In general, the General Motors 2500 HD truck have an available automatic
transmission made by Allison.  It is also used in school buses and
motorhomes, and it is made for heavy duty applications.  Ford has developed a
new automatic transmission for their heavy duty pickups.

In general, I agree with Maurice's comments, but you should ask questions
about the specific automatic transmission you pick as you get further along
in the selection process.

In heavier applications, such as towing, automatic transmissions can be the
weaker link.  If you want an automatic, you can find one that will meet your
requirements.  I have towed a trailer since the mid 60s and have always used
an automatic.

Sam
WBCCI 12557