[A/S] Re: Automatic vs manual transmission

I learned to drive a manual.  My first car was a manual.  I've driven
manuals all my life.  I made my kids learn to drive with a manual
despite their whining about how much easier it was for their friends
learning to drive an automatic.  Their first cars were manuals.  My
wife's driven manuals all her life.

But our truck is an automatic.  It's more comfortable.  Ever try to
drive a manual with a severely sprained ankle? (I have... thank God
for rental cars).  I feel I have a slight bit more control when
backing.  It's every bit as rugged as a manual these days.  You do
have to watch the transmission fluid temperature in stop and go
traffic and when backing, when the cooler is getting less air, but
you also have to be careful not to slip a clutch to death under the
same circumstances.  You also have to watch the temperature if you
get slow enough that the torque converter unlocks on an uphill grade,
but that's usually not a problem with a diesel.

If you want an auto, buy one.
--
Maurice
WBCCI 5446