[A/S] Re: Hensley Hitch Install

With a Kelsey Hayes hydraulic controller, yes.

With a Jordan cable input controller, yes.

With a ramp type controller in a panic stop, no, it's too slow.

With an decceleration sensing controller, better, but still the truck
is braking harder than the trailer and the controller is playing
catch up until the maximum deceleration is reached (that's how it
works).

That's why I also have a Jordan Ultima in addition to the Hensley...
even though I thought I would've felt better installing a hydraulic
unit like we used to use years ago.  But now I like the Jordan better
because it lets me not only control the amount of trailer braking,
but also where it begins in the pedal travel separately.

The words "slightly before" are important.  With TOO MUCH trailer
braking, the trailer wheels can lock, leading to the tendency to jack
knife... watch an 18-wheeler trying to stop quickly on ice sometime.
Locked wheels, especially on slippery surfaces, travel faster than
heavily braked wheels that aren't locked.  That's why the back end on
a vehicle has a tendency to come around when the rear end is skidding.

The Hensley helps keep the jack knife from starting in the first
place even if the trailer overbrakes and starts skidding.

--
Maurice
WBCCI 5446