[A/S] Maiden Voyage

This is all old hat to you guys, but it was pretty exciting for us...
gotta share it.

The clamp for the brake controller arrived Thursday and I took the
day off Friday and installed it.  Saturday was the big day... the HOG
campout at one of the member's farms.  I went over earlier with just
the truck to scout the ground since we've had a bunch of rain the
last few days. The big grassy field is slightly sloped and has good
drainage, so the soil was still firm.  I took the truck out in it and
the tires didn't dent the ground, but the grass sure was wet and
slippery.

Back home, I checked all the tire pressures, slipped the drop bar in
the truck and backed it right into the Hensley, at about a 45 degree
angle from the trailer, on the first try, with Barbie's guidance!
Those little FRS radios sure are nice.  I also have a thin coat of
grease on the bar, so it went into the hitch all the way easily.

First problem was that when connected to the truck, with the front
end out on the street putting the drop bar pretty low, I couldn't
raise the jack stand enough to get the weight off it.  I had to have
it sitting on a coupla 2 X 12 pieces to get the trailer level on the
sloped driveway.  So I pulled out the 3 ton floor jack and raised the
drop bar enough to slip the boards out and get the foot off the
jackstand.

Pulled out onto the street, it became clear the safety chains weren't
going to reach with the Hensley.  They'd looked like they might've,
so I hadn't extended them.  So off to the hardware store for some
chain extension.  Also checked the brake controller effectiveness
which seemed to work fine with Jordan's recommended 10.5 amp (3-axle)
setting.

I don't think the 1000 lb Draw-Tite bars are quite enough.  I cranked
the jacks to the first mark, and the trailer nose and truck tail were
still slightly low.  The rear fenderwell is 3/4" lower than when the
truck is unloaded, but the front is 1/2" higher.  I tightened the
jacks to the middle mark but nothing changed after I bounced on the
hitch to let it resettle... truck was still low in the rear and high
in the front.  The bars were already pretty bowed, so I didn't
tighten it beyond that to the last mark.  Will have to see what
Hensley has to say about that.  Maybe I just need to go ahead and
crank 'em all the way up (there are 3 holes clear between the upper
and lower pins on the jacks).

Down at the end of our street, there was no traffic at all on the
usually busy 4-lane.  Away we go.  Down through the busy mall area to
get to the interstate.  The Ford travel trailer mirrors seem to do
the job in the heavy traffic... no visibility problems.  The downward
sloping entrance ramp really helped get up to speed.  Above 60 mph,
the rig wasn't perfectly stable... had a little side to side to side
oscillation going on... so I kept it below that.  Sorta surprised me
with the Hensley, but I think the front end of the truck is getting a
bit light and inducing it.

Once off the interstate and on a two-lane, there was about a 100'
deep dip in the road with a steep hill on the other side.  Right at
the bottom of the dip, a stopped vehicle was waiting to turn left, so
I had to stop also.  No problem with the brakes... stopped
beautifully going downhill.  But that big diesel was sure working
100% getting the rig back up to 45 mph on the other side!  I can't
imagine pulling this trailer with anything less.

At the farm, I engaged 4WD before getting into the wet grass.  I got
into a coupla furrows where the rig didn't want to move after
stopping, but there was no wheelspin.  Rather than force it with
heavy throttle, I just got the rig rocking in the furrow with a few
light touches of the throttle until it had the momentum to roll out.
We were the first to arrive, so I parked it with a perfect view of
the soon to come bonfire, got it level and stabilized, and put the
awnings out.  We started unstowing items inside.

Barbie pulled the Mr. Coffee out of the appliance garage, and I
said, "We can't use that, we're boondocking."  She replied, "I guess
I'll have to settle for microwave coffee."  I smiled and said, "Let
me talk to you about a Honda generator." We both had a good laugh
about that and just boiled water this morning on the gas stove and
poured it through the filter holder of the Mr. Coffee into the
carafe.  Also missed the first part of the Winston Cup race today
since the TV is 120V only.  Have to do something about that.

Harley owners appreciate the nostalgia of an Airstream and raved
about the "retro look."  Most knew about WBCCI.  We had about 3 dozen
want to see the inside.  Saturday was beautiful, clear skies and in
the high 70's.  One Fantastic vent on low was enough to keep the
trailer cool with the windows open.  Saturday night was perfect.  A
million stars in the sky, a huge bonfire, and no wind, so the smoke
went straight up.  It dropped from about 60 at sunset to 50
overnight. Although that's great sleeping weather in a tent snuggled
in a sleeping bag, we really enjoyed the comfort of home with the
furnace running, and not having to trek across the field in the dark
to use the bathroom.  My idea of what defines camping has sure
changed as I got older! LOL!

We left the trailer on the farm today, since we're getting shingles
delivered roof-top tomorrow and it would be in the way.  So I still
have yet to try to park over on one side of an 18'X41' driveway from
a street that isn't much wider.  Can't wait to get it home though!  I
think next weekend we'll have it out at the WPAFB famcamp.

--
Maurice
WBCCI 5446