Re: [A/S] Hitch height help

Hi Joe,

I just went through trying to level the TRAILER when it's hooked up and
ready to tow.  So, your 19 -1/2 inch should give you equal height at the
coupler and the trailer bumper.  Problem with my Argosy is that the axles
got tired and the rear droops.  To level the trailer in this circumstance
would cause the spring bar assembly to run too close to the ground (IMHO).

So, you need to provide more information about the hitch  you are trying to
install.  Will it have equalizer bars?  If so, the ball height would be the
same as the trailer specification.  The spring bars are adjusted to bring
the height back to specification.

I'm running an '02 Ford F250 super duty 4X4 and needed a 6 inch drop.  I
could use an eight inch drop with my Argosy, but that's running bad axles.
Anyway, the tongue weight drops the truck bumper about 3 inches.  The
equalizer bars on the Hensley or Reese friction cam (I have both), return
the truck bumper to near it's original height.  Maybe a bit lower with the
compression of the front springs.

It's my experience that equalizer bars are essential to pleasant towing.  I
get a bit of see-saw on some roads, but without the bars, it seems that it
would be constant see-saw.  Lights bouncing up and down, etc.

However, possibly other list contributors will set both of us straight?

                                          Just finished first 2000 mile tow
with
                                          hurricanes Hanna and Isabel - Joy