Re: [A/S] 2 Way Satellite Internet

The guys who sell them.. this from a FAQ.....

 Frequently Asked Questions

Product
What is EarthLink Satellite, powered by DIRECWAY?
What does "two-way" satellite service mean?
What is DirecDuo?

How fast is the connection?
How do these speeds compare with DSL and cable modems?

How much does the equipment cost?
What are the minimum computer requirements?
Do I need a phone line and dial-up modem to connect to the Internet?
How many USB ports are required?

What operating systems will support EarthLink Satellite, powered by DIRECWAY?
Is EarthLink Satellite service available for Mac and PC computers?

What are the terms and conditions for the EarthLink Satellite service?

Installation
Is EarthLink Satellite service available in my area?
Are any special approvals required for the installation of my DIRECWAY
satellite dish?
What will I receive when I purchase EarthLink Satellite, powered by DIRECWAY?

How much does the installation cost?
What should I expect during installation?
Can I install the DIRECWAY equipment for EarthLink Satellite myself?

Advanced Use
What software and online activities might be incompatible with an EarthLink
Satellite connection?
Can I use EarthLink Satellite for my business needs?

Can I access the Internet if I'm on the road?
Will EarthLink Satellite work with RVs, motor homes, or watercraft?

Ready for EarthLink Satellite? Order Now!

PRODUCT

What is EarthLink Satellite, powered by DIRECWAY?
EarthLinkTM Satellite, powered by DIRECWAYTM is a satellite-based high-speed
Internet service. "Satellite-based" means your connection to the Internet is
via a satellite rather than wires or coaxial cable that are used for DSL and
cable modem services.
Back to Top

What does "two-way" satellite service mean?
"Two-way" service means that data is both downloaded and uploaded via
satellite. Some satellite systems, one-way systems, download via satellite,
but upload via your telephone line through a dial-up modem. This is a slower
uploading process, and it ties up your phone line when you're on the
Internet. Two-way service means faster uploads, an always-on connection, and
no busy signals.
Back to Top

What is DirecDuo?
DirecDuo is a special satellite dish capable of receiving both EarthLink
Satellite, powered by DIRECWAY, and DIRECTV® television programming. DirecDuo
refers to the dish only. A DirecTV receiver and the DirecTV service are not
included in your monthly service fee for EarthLink Satellite service. To
receive a DirecTV receiver and the DirecTV service, you must order it from
DirecTV and pay the monthly service fee. EarthLink is not affiliated with or
responsible for DIRECTV in any way.
Back to Top

How fast is the connection?
EarthLink Satellite downloads data from the Internet to your PC at speeds
almost eight times faster than a dial-up modem. Data uploads via satellite at
speeds faster than or similar to a dial-up modem, all without tying up your
phone-line. Download speeds of up to 400 Kbps and upload speeds of up to 60
Kbps. Connection speeds are not guaranteed. EarthLink High Speed Internet
offers a "best effort" service. That means we will always do our best to
provide you with the fastest connection possible.
Back to Top

How do these speeds compare with DSL and cable modems?
They are in the same general range as both of these technologies.
Cable: Download speeds of up to 2Mbps and upload speeds of up to 384Kbps
DSL: Download speeds of up to 1.5Mbps and upload speeds of up to 128Kbps
Satellite: Download speeds of up to 400Kbps and upload speeds of up to 60Kbps
Dial-up: Download and upload speeds of up to 56Kbps
Back to Top

How much does the equipment cost?
There are several pricing tiers, depending on which plan you select. Please
see our pricing chart.
Back to Top

What are the minimum computer requirements?
To experience the full capabilities of EarthLink Satellite, powered by
DIRECWAY, your computer must meet the following minimum system requirements:
Pentium II 333 MHz or greater CPU
64MB RAM (Windows 98SE and Windows Me), 128MB RAM (Windows 2000 and Windows
XP)
Available USB port
CD-ROM Drive
28.8Kbps hardware based analog modem (for initial service registration)
120MB of free hard drive space
Back to Top

Do I need a phone line and dial-up modem to connect to the Internet?
A phone line and modem are required for the initial installation. Once the
service has been installed, however, no phone line is required.
Back to Top

How many USB ports are required?
Only one USB connection is required.
Back to Top

What operating systems will support EarthLink Satellite, powered by DIRECWAY?
Windows 98 SE, 2000, Me, and XP.
Back to Top

Is EarthLink Satellite service available for Mac and PC computers?
Sorry, EarthLink Satellite service is currently only available to PC users.
Back to Top

What are the terms and conditions for the EarthLink Satellite service?
See Satellite Terms and Conditions.
Back to Top

INSTALLATION

Is EarthLink Satellite service available in my area?
EarthLink Satellite service connects you to the Internet without the use of
cables or wires. Instead, the satellite dish installed at your home
communicates with a satellite in orbit over the southern sky. If you live in
the contiguous 48 United States and have a clear view of the southern sky,
you should be eligible.

To be eligible for satellite service, you must have a suitable spot to mount
the satellite dish with nothing blocking the view of the southern sky. No
buildings, trees, hills, or other obstructions can block the line of sight
between the satellite and your dish—not even partially.

To determine which direction is south, remember that the sun sets in the
west. If you're facing the sunset, you need a clear view of the sky over and
above your left shoulder.
Back to Top

Are any special approvals required for the installation of my DIRECWAY
satellite dish?
You are responsible for any and all required approvals, permits, etc. You
should verify that there are no restrictions by building management or
Homeowners Association at the location in regards to the installation of
satellite dishes. The Hughes DIRECWAY installation technician will assume
that all required approvals and permits have been secured.
Back to Top

What will I receive when I purchase EarthLink Satellite, powered by DIRECWAY?
Besides the unlimited Internet access and EarthLink's award-winning service,
you'll receive an EarthLink Welcome package via overnight delivery that will
include a CD containing all the necessary software and installers to connect
you to the Internet via EarthLink.

You will also receive hardware that will be delivered by your satellite
installer and will include:
A 24" x 36" diameter dish
Mounting hardware
Two modem-sized boxes that connect to your PC
Cables and accessories
Back to Top

How much does the installation cost?
There are several pricing tiers, depending on which plan you select. Please
see our pricing chart.
Back to Top

What should I expect during installation?
Please see the Satellite Installation FAQ for more information.
Back to Top

"Can I install the DIRECWAY equipment for EarthLink Satellite myself?

No. Because the DIRECWAY equipment is highly sophisticated and FCC
regulations for installing and pointing the antenna are very stringent, the
equipment must be professionally installed by a certified installation
technician. The Federal Communications Commission Radio Station
Authorization, file number SES-MOD-20010205-00298, defines federal
regulations for the installation and activation of two-way satellite Internet
access devices."

Remember, I'm talking about the ones that are installed on permanent places,
like homes... not RVs.

Hunter