[A/S] Re: Window Question

If they are like the window locks on my '86, there is a cam, or
lever, which is fixed between two nuts on a threaded shaft, which is
turned by the handle inside.  These nuts allow the cam to move back
and forth on the shaft - making the latch tighter or looser.

There are two problems with this arrangement: 1) The nuts rust; and
2) the main portion of the latch where it passes through the frame is
some kind of cast pot metal, and it breaks very easily.

If they have rusted, soak the nuts throughly in penetrating oil (WD
40 is not likely to be sufficient).  Give it time to work - a couple
of days maybe.  Put a wrench on the back nut, and one on the front
and loosen.  One or the other should come free.  Once the pressure is
off the other should turn easily as well.  Get some new nuts (sorry,
I do not know the size offhand - but they are a common thread and
size), and adjust so the window closes without excessive pressure.
It is helpful to have someone inside to test this while you are
outside adjusting.

When I bought my trailer at least seven latches were broken,
undoubtedly from using too much force to turn the latch on poorly
adjusted locks.

Mark