Re: [A/S] Newbee question: How necessary is a Hensley?

Ed,

What do you mean by the "stock Airstream hitch?"

Exactly what are you speaking about here?

A Hensley is but one of a variety of hitches you can use for your tow
vehicle, new or used tow vehicle at that.  There are the Reese, Drawtite,
Hensley, Equal-i-zer (which I use), etc.  Maybe there are other brands out
there as well being sold at garages all over the country as well.

For myself and our 1995 34' Classic FK Excella 1000 the hitch of choice is
the Equal-i-zer made in the state of Utah.  The previous owner of our
trailer which is a 3 axle unit also used the Equal-i-zer with stellar
results just as Charlie Burke has stated as well.  A new Equal-i-zer hitch
will set you back about $600, maybe less if memory serves correct.

My Excursion is also a very expensive SUV / truck / tow vehicle and it's
only a year old with almost 30k miles on it already.  I can assure you that
we don't have a worry in the world about towing with what we use.  After
all, my family goes with us everywhere as well and safety is job one with us
for everyone and everything in our rig setup.

Don't beat yourself up about whether or not you need a Hensley hitch, Ed.
Buy the best you can afford and as always make sure it is designed to do the
job.  A Hensley is the only hitch I've ever heard of that you can buy on an
installment plan, that's how expensive it is to the normal people in the
world we live in.  I vote for the Equal-i-zer, it does a fantastic job and
you won't even know the trailer is behind you and they are a breeze to set
up.  Now, if you don't forget to hook up the trailer it WILL be behind you
but it won't be kicking you from here to there down the road.  One thing
too, you wallet will thank you!

Tom