Re: [A/S] Brake Controllers

Jim,

My current controller of choice is Hayes Lemmerz's Energizer III. It is
an inertia style controller. Hayes Lemmerz is the current name for what
used to be Kelsey Hayes. In the past I have used several of their
controller's and a Tekonsha. While the Tekonsha worked for me I purposely
removed it when I discovered that applying the brakes manually using the
controller did not activate the trailer brake lights. If I'm stopping or
slowing down I want the fella behind me to know that. I have not checked
the new Prodigy yet, but in past conversations the no brake light  was a
company design policy.
When I start out towing I will test my controller/trailer brakes to make
sure I am getting a level of braking at low speed that I like. I set my
fairly aggressively cause I want to feel the trailer tugging when I brake.
This adjustment has served me well for the duration of any trips I take.
My 02 GMC is much like your proposed rental. The tow package includes
receiver and all the electrical needed. GM puts a pig tail in the truck
to be used with a brake controller. There is a label on the pigtail that
describes where to plug it into the wiring harness. What the label doesn't
mention is the plug is behind a cover panel down low and to the left of the
pedals. And there are two identical, unlabeled socket that the pigtail fits
in. So proceed carefully. The pigtail has a connector on one end and four
wires on the other. You will have to connect them to the wires on the brake
controller. Crimp on butt connectors work well.
One more detail to verify. The umbilical wiring scheme in 1966 was not the
industry standard that the Chevy is wired to. If the trailer wiring is
original it will HAVE to be changed before you can safely connect the two.

Charlie