Re: [A/S] Polishing

> There seems to be some kind of coating on it I can't
>get off short of coarse sandpaper. I've seen the Perfect Polish
>website and plan to use the product but I have to get the 'crap' off
>first. Any suggestions?
>Orlando
=================
The following from my files indicates how to test for clear coat. By all
means do not use sandpaper. You will put scratches in the aluminum that
will be difficult if not impossible to remove.

>>To see if your trailer has a, "Clear Coat" on it. - Do the following:

1) Toothpaste on "soft" cotton rag. - Lower panel - towards hitch. Wrap
cloth around 2 fingers - tight. Dampen
rag. Put 2 SMALL drops of toothpaste on it (Note: Tooth "PASTE" - NOT
Gel) rub approx. 10-15 times in about 4" x
4" area applying good pressure (Direction - not important for this little
test!) - okay. After this, if the rag is
NOT black & there is NO shine - YOU HAVE CLEAR COAT!!

2) Go to lumber yard - get a can of: "Strip-It" stripper and a 1" Natural
Bristle brush - cheap-o. Mask off 4"
square - lower panel front. Apply to surface with brush, wait 10 minutes.
If stripper starts to bubble or a white
film that looks wrinkled - THAT IS Clear Coat coming off! Spray bottle
with water - rinse thoroughly -
CAUTION: If you have painted surface below this area - lay tin foil OVER
painted area to protect them from the
stripper - (will remove paint!!) Tin Foil works good - to protect ALL
types of Plastic & painted surfaces!)

If you DO have a Clear Coat - you MUST determine WHICH type it is. i.e.,
Lacquer, (Lacquer thinner WILL remove)
If not Lacquer but Plasti Coat or Poly Coat a Lacquer stripper or
paint stripper MUST be used to remove., WATER DEACTIVATED STRIPPERS are
recommended as once water contacts it IMMEDIATELY STOPS the, "eating"
factor & deactivates it and stops. <<

Roy Lashway
'78 Argosy,'56 Bubble
WBCCI 1610 VAC