Re: [A/S] overdrive use with dodge truck auto transmission

With our previous 29 foot AS (about 8000 pounds) I left my '97 Dodge with
3.54 rear end and 480ci V10 engine in overdrive unless there was a lot of
hunting. This would give me an honest 12.25 - 12.5 MPG on flat interstates
at 60MPH and seemed well within the truck's capacity (I have all the
factory recommended towing options, but no after-market stuff).

With our present 34 footer (about 10000 pounds) there is much more hunting
if I leave it in OD. I can use OD in flat country when I am at normal
highway cruising speeds, but I take it off anytime the road is not flat or
if my speed doesn't allow the torque converter to lock up (i.e., below 55
MPH). The TQ can lock up as low as about 44 MPH W/O OD, and I try to always
keep it locked up where possible. This is giving me about 10.5 MPG.

As I recall, the manual tells us to change tranny fluid every 24000 miles,
which I do.

I haven't had any problems with either the engine or tranny and now have
95000 miles. I have probably towed 70,000 of that.

You didn't state your engine or rear end gear ratio. If you have roughly
the same torque I have with the same rear ratio, I would leave it in OD,
especially with the lighter weight, unless the hunting is excessive. If
you have the diesel, our combined weight is probably about the same so
forget the "lighter weight" part.

Jerry 4404 W4UK