Re: [A/S] Hensley Mounting

Sorry, this is just not so in a physical aspect. per your view, anything built
by Thor Industries is an Airstream.  That view would be correct in calling an
Argosy an Airstream.

>What differences are there that I don't know about? Not counting dec

I did not go into detail in the private email I sent you but when these were
first produced in about '72 or '73. they were built in different factories at
times and at others, in the same factories  and specs between an argosy (wood?
frame vs metal frame) and an airstream were not the same.  thus, the location of
the bracket for the tanks could have reasonably been different.
Most of the people in the dealerships really were glad to see the Argosy show up
as it provided a product to sell the people who came in the door looking for
something less expensive than an airstream (prices shot out of sight with the
new AS trailer design).  it was the Chevy sitting over on the corner of the
Cadillac lot. Same company, shares some components and "look" but .. it is not a
Cadillac.  again, this was in the early 70s.
I do not know all the differences between the AS and the Argosy because I was
never put to work on one... (this was a full time day job I took while working
on my PhD and other than make ready, these new Argosy trailers did not need my
restorative skills) but as I have stated, if it does not have Airstream on a
shiny aluminum trailer, it is not an airstream.
It may be owned and have been built by the same company and it may have some of
the same design and components but it is NOT an airstream.  it is simply a MUCH
less expensive knockoff put out by (don't hold me to this) the food company in
an effort to boost revenues and to compete with the rising market share of the
Avion, et al.  I remember then that I looked at buying one but we decided to get
into a 6 yr old Overlander.  I also remember that the Argosy's furnace, a/c, etc
were less expensive versions of those in the Airstream as were the interior
appointments.  Perhaps I should say that it was a line that could have been set
below the Land Yacht level of dress out but it was far more different than that.

I am not trying to be arrogant, just stating facts AS I REMEMBER THEM.

Obviously, it is closer to an Airstream than an Avion or a tupperware but again,
it is NOT....   Finally, I have no idea what they did with the Argosy
construction and level of comparable quality after I left Airstream
"mechanicking" after 1973.
I knew that I did not want to be an AS mechanic the rest of my life and once I
had all the course work for the PhD done, I left town and started teaching or
doing Reserve tours all over the US.  We fulltimed/honeymooned in that
Overlander for three years until we wound up here in Houston <gag!> and sold
that trailer, filling up a 2BR apt with all the stuff inside it.

As an afterthought, it seems to me that on an Airstream BBS or forum in the mid
90s, we did a mess of comparisons of the differences twixt an AS and a brown jug
as many of us mechanics called the Argosy.  Wish I had those old 1mb hard drives
now.<G>

fwiw
chas