Re: [A/S] FRS vs GMRS

Jack Canavera wrote:

> Be careful of the VOX function.  In some units you end
> up picking them up to get the VOX to work (holding the
> unit in front of your mouth).

VOX is really only hands free when you have a headset.  Otherwise, as Jack said you have to have them sensitive enough to pick up a flea sneeze, or holler loud enough to be heard without them.

>  So much for hands free.
>  Background noise can also set them off.  I have a
> couple of units (not this model) that I use when
> camping.

We use a conventional pair (Bell South IIRC) and find them very handy for hitching and unhitching.  No good around the campground, however, because someone (who shall remain nameless) always leaves
hers in the truck with her cell phone.

> They work fine and we use them for backing
> our trailer and when one of us is out in the
> campgrounds and we need to communicate.  We don't use
> the VOX mode though.
>
> Jack

<snip>
Matt