Re: [A/S] Digest Number 1203

As hunter says below, towing is in the eye of the beholder.
I have pulled a 31' all over the Rocky Mtns., the Canadian
Rockies, and the California Sierras with a '86 Suburban 454 4.10.
Also pulled a 26' Land Yacht single axle all over California with
a '68 Plymouth wagon 318.  Sure, there were some slower grades to
negotiate (El Cajon, La Cumbre, Independence Pass, Sonora Pass,
etc. ) but on balance, the attitude and temperament of the driver
is the most serious problem to deal with.  Giving way to 18
wheelers when they overtake, pulling over to allow faster vehicles
to pass on the downhill runs, and enjoying the beauty of the
wonderful US of A is what makes RVing the life for me.
Now I pull with a 4x4 F-250 CC V-10, just because I live in
snow/mud country and want an extra margin, though I have only used
4x4 Lo Range once (when starting up on an uphill grade on a gravel
road).
Having an extra margin of tow power is nice, but it costs $.  If
you can afford it, get it.
Regards to all,
Jim