Re: [A/S] Hitches

this may be a rather iong post We have just returned from A 4 month's trip we
travled 8000 miles total probaly towed the trailer 6000 miles.We spent 7
weeks working with Habitat For Humanity.Our 1st stop was the Escambia River
Vintage Rally. (the Silver Abaltross) Took 3rd Place from there it was on To
Higginsville MO. the town that I was raised at the 1st time back in 60
years.Found a fellow that I went to gramer school with. Gosh he has aged.From
there on to Chillothee Mo For 2 weeks to help build 2 houses. On to Iowa to
visit a farm couple that I worked for in the early 1940s. On to
Milwaulkeewhere we built a 2 story house in 5 days.
We had 4 weeks t0 get to Billings MT for our next build. Went to dump the
holding tank and the handel pulled out of the valve while the valve remained
closed. Set out the heavy rain in a road side rest worked on the dump valve
and finally got it to work using a screw driver to make it work . When I got
it to work the intire contents discharged into my lap. thank god it was
raining ond we were parked between 2 semis . I could didrobe before intering
the trailer. I sid not smell like roses
We jurnied on to Billings taking in all the tourist traps . Spent 9 days in
Rapid City SD  anf than on to Yellow Stone Park It was still snowing in the
higer elivations. But it was a great time for us both. Did out Habitat thing
in Billings and than on To Pennwood park at Limestone Pa spent 3 weeks thera
so Mary could visit Her family there. Pennwood has to be one of the best
Airatream parks anywhere.
From there we went to Bingihamington NY. Got part way through ythe build when
Our daughter called us with the Sadnews that her Husban had passed away He
had cancer that no one was aware of went into the hospital and 3 days later
he was gone. Ironic we have 2 children and both have lost there spouces at an
early age.
We are now ar home in tampa I am aqfraid this may be our last long trip. Mary
is showing greater signs of early Alzhimers.I am not handling it well eather.
long term plans that we have made are rapitaly crumbling to dust.
Thrre has been over the years much discussion about tow vechiles hitches and
break controllers and tires. Some of this will strike a raw nerve espacelly
with Andy
Before I started this trip I pulled all 4 wheels and washed the bearnings
replaced the seals adjusted the breaks. andchecked eavery thing out. I have
all new Cooper tires including the spare. The split rims have been replaced
with Blazer wheels(a no no I understand By those who have wheels for sale The
trailer does not weigh any more a loaded blazer. these wheels have ran 25k
miles. the tires were balanced and I checked the mounted balanced by spinning
the wheels they stopped ar random points which indicated they were resonably
well balanced.
I use no equliaing hitch of any kind and no sway bars. The trailer is heavy
on the front about 800 lb toung weight Behind the Dodge 2500 with helper
springs and air shocks it tracks as it should When Cressing SD and MT there
was very strong cross winds the big rigs blew byand there was no provlems I
crossed the conntional devide twice toured mountain roads got lost on very
windy 2 lane mountain roads and at no time did I feel that all was not well
with the world. I had no worry about yhe hitch lockinf up in an emergency
manover as i had reported to me that happened in Centeral America.
Hunter I want to thank you for reccommending the Ultima break controller
there was an accident in front of me ans I doubt if I could have stopped the
truck as Quickly as I did with the trailer it lockes up the breaks nicely and
nothing happened
The way I tow I do not reccommend to any one else I am only saying what works
well for me. I Drove over 300k miles delivering sail boats and the nature of
a trailer with serge brakes eliminates the usa of equlisera or sway bars.
with a heavy duty truck and a well balanced trailer the thing will track.
This said if I were towing with a light duty truck or auto I would no doubt
have an equliser and sway bars.
Hunter you can now have the fun of figuring my creative spelling. There has
to be more than one wat to spell any given word.
Jim Smith
1992 Tradewind(The Silver Abaltross)
1992 Dodge Cummins Diesel.