Re: [A/S] Help water leak

Hi Conrad,

Fortunately or not, I just finished replacing the plumbing in a '74 Argosy
that was freeze damaged and in a '69 Safari (just looked like bad copper
plumbing).  The Safari taught me that there is a pressure regulator for the
shore water and a "back flow" valve to keep water from flowing out the
hookup.  Also, there is a "back flow" valve downstream of the water pump to
keep city water from entering the pump and water tank.  Either valve could
be damaged or contaminated with debris so it now longer functions properly.
The technician who started the '74 Argosy PEX replacement, used ball type
shut off valves rather than back flow fittings.  I opted to put the back
flow fittings back in so I wouldn't have more tasks to perform each time I
did hookups, etc.  The cost of the back flow valve is about $8 and the
male/female coupling another $3-4.

Depending on the layout and type of your plumbing, you may be able to get to
the back flow valve, remove and replace it with another back flow or ball
valve.  The nice thing about PEX is that locating critical parts where they
can be maintained simplifies replacement.  Sweating copper in confined
spaces requires lots of heat shields (sheet rock) to get the job done
without setting the trailer on fire or damaging other components.  I'd
rather have PEX! :)

And finally, have you tried using air pressure to purge debris from the
system?  Possibly a grain of sand is what's causing your problem?

Good luck,

                                                  '69 Safari, Joy