[A/S] Forgot to ask about insurance, etc.

I'm posting this to the rv/automotive-related lists to which i'm subscribed.

My Allstate policy for the '81 Dodge 'Champion' RV (i re-registered it as a '79,
to the running gear, due to smog restrictions - it routinely failed smog as an '81).
This is an RV policy, specifically, and costs less than $400.00/year. The 'RV RoadHelp'
is additional, and I can't for the life of me remember how much it was - i put it on
an automatic payment thing with a credit card - but it seemed very reasonable. (If you
knew me, you'd know what a cheapskate i am - this is not the sort of thing that i would
spend money on).

We had an engine failure last tuesday; about 6:30pm (central time), about 30 miles east
of Grand Island, NE. The engine had begun to overheat even though i'd had the engine
gone through, complete tune-up, etc. about four days earlier before leaving Reno, NV
(where i live). The engine 'threw a rod' which pierced the oil pan. Engine seized up
hard, and we were definitely not going anywhere on our own wheels.

I called my allstate agent in Reno, because the RV RoadHelp card I was carrying in my
wallet was about 3 years out of date. Suzanne was out of the office, but one of the
other agents took my cell phone number, and said he'd start on it until she got back.

Got a call back in about four minutes with a direct number to RV RoadHelp, and a contact
name. They'd started the ball rolling, and I have to say that i've never EVER had such
rapid response in an emergency (Island Towing of Grand Island). I mentioned the details
in an earlier post - the RV was trailered to the Dodge dealer in Grand Island, and we
were in a Travelodge (deluxe suite, at half price - arranged by the towing company)
within about two and a half hours.

The Allstate RV policy also includes a 'trip-interruption' provision - in our case, up
to a $1,000.00 per incident.

FWIW, i can't see how they could have performed better.

Tuna
Reno, NV
'81 Dodge 'Champion'
'49 Willys Overland 'Jeepster'