[A/S] Re: widebodies

Hi Patti
Here in Canada we have two seasons Winter and Construction and they
sure love to set those barriers right on the yellow lines, with all
the miles I tow I spend a fair bit of time next to them. I don't know
if this will work for you but this is what I do in those narrow
spots.

If I can see transports ahead and they have made it through then I
know I can since a transport is 8'6" wide right down to the tire
tracks and the Airstream narrows in a bit.  Then instead of trying to
watch both sides at the same time I can keep an eye on one side and
be confident that the other side will get through.

I don't ignor the other side completely I still want to be aware of
the traffic over there but mainly keep I keep one side close and the
other takes care of itself.

It is easier to watch the left side than the right so if it is a
narrow two lane thru a construction I will take the left if I can.
You will notice that transports often take the left lane as well.  If
the transports are running in the right though and the cars are
running faster in the left then stay in the right as you want to
avoid passing a transport in those narrow spots if possible.

If it is extreamly narrow two lane then I just be a road hog and take
both lanes which is better than a scraped up side sheet.

If you ever change tires on your Tahoe switch to a 225/75R x 16"
Light truck tire as this will thighten up your steering feel and make
it easier to thread through those narrow spots.  Your next tow
vehicle will likely have rack and pinion steering which also makes it
easier to keep a precise lane position.

I hope this helps you out and makes it a bit more relaxing for you.

Andy