[A/S] H2O Heater Flame-out

Hello All,
I have a little problem with my water heater.
The pilot light will not stay on unless I hold the gas valve knob in all
the way over in the light position.
As soon as I let it fall into the "run" position, the flame goes out.
I replaced the thermocouple with a new one and still have the same
problem. I got the thermocouple glowing nearly red so I know it got hot
enough.
This water heater is nearly new and works fine on electric.
Any ideas on what to look at would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike Kent
'72 International 31'