Re: [A/S] Early 60s trailer wiring

Eric,
  Wire the connector on the trailer to match the modern standards, don't
change your vehicle.

Although you can and should pay attention to the colors on the trailer
pigtail, the best method is to actually test the function of the wires
on the pigtail to confirm things. Using a battery and an inline fuse,
you can easily check out the functions, make a diagram, and wire the
connector accordingly.

When replacing a bad connector, I've often found that the pigtail cord
is also in need of replacement. Sooo... I'll prewire a length of the
special "trailer" 7-conductor cable to the new connector, then route it
to the junction area and connect it to the trailer wiring. The junction
area is often found under the trailer, perhaps near the step. There will
be a cover that's attached to the belly skin with pop rivets; proceed
accordingly.

                                <<Jim>>