[A/S] trans/cooling temps

My rig:
'77 31ft Sovreign w/ExcellaVac Disc Brakes.
'94 Buick RoadMaster Estate Wagon 126,000miles, mint.
Hypertech Power Programmer. Modifys engine computer for 140deg thermostat,
turns aux electric cooling fans on sooner, modifies performance/requireing
high octane fuel.
factory trailer tow package incl trans cooler and of COURSE using Mobil 1
sythentic trans fluid.
TransGo shift kit.
K&N air filter.
Getting DynaMax CatBack exhaust system

I've actually thought that I'm running too cold???!!! during a "heat wave"
here in CT last week, I drove to north western CT down state highways up
hills....much different than freeway driving. the temp gauge went up the the
"middle" mark
Normailly, it just sits on the 1/4 mark, below that when not towing.
as I said, I worried that that might be to cold? is that possible.
should I get a trans temp gauge?
Also, I've been told by many sources on this year GM car to tow ONLY in 3rd.
later years were modified ('97 and later?) for OD towing.
I wonder, if using full sythetic trans fluid, would the temps matter as
much???? is the engine temp gauge any kind of indicaton of trans temp. ie
could the engine be running cool while the trans is overheating????
Dan Dureiko WBCCI 29072