[A/S] Unusual Brake Situation - Follow Up Question/Answer

David Crook asked for my experienced differences between towing with 6.2 and 6.5 Suburbans.  There is a significant difference in towing power and the noise level.  Our 6.2 has a 2.54 rear end (great mileage as passenger vehicle) and the 6.5 has a 3.73.  Towing mpg on both is about the same, 12-13 mpg.  With the 6.2 we somtimes creep over the mountains, but move respectably with the 6.5.  You asked about temp and average towing speeds.  The temp on the 6.2 required watching in the mountains, even with a recent new radiator.  The temp on the 6.5 was almost always at 180, never above 200.  I usually tow around 60, plus if on good highway, even at 70, the rig (Hensley Hitch) is solid and smooth.  Esther tends to tow around 55, so I ask her to drive through IL, where the towing speed limit is 55.  The noise level from the ole 82 6.2 was significant when towing (always in drive, not overdrive), but in the 94 6.5, we can talk and play music.  I had planned to sell the 6.2, but Esther insisted that I keep it for shop/farm duties and informed me that she didn't want to see any assets that I acquire from my friends scrap metal busines in the 94 Burb!
Ned In Mid MO