Re: [A/S] Yet another tire question -- a vote for Michelin

For what it's worth.

By now, I thought most people our age know that a long or generous warranty
is not a sure fire indication of a quality product.  If you want something
good, the key issue is to buy a quality product.  Often the best warranty is
the name of the manufacturer on the product.

In my opinion, Michelin makes the BEST truck tires.  That was their original
claim to fame, and still is.  Some years ago, I replaced a set of original
equipment Generals on a 3/4 ton Chevy truck with Michelins and the truck
road noticeably smoother and the tires lasted a lot longer.  Harvey Barlow,
on this list, also noticed similar results when he installed Michelins on
his truck.

Yes ROUND tires are important.  They don't go bumpity, bump in the day or
night. Hence they ride smoother, flex less, generate less heat and last
longer.  No amount of balance weights can make up for a lopsided tire.

It is not easy to make a round radial tire.  I am not a tire engineer, but
these are the key issues:

In a radial tire, by definition, the plies run radially from the bead, under
the belt and then to the other bead.  ALL of these plies must be the same
length and lie along a radial axis.  Otherwise, the tire will be oval
(actually an uneven oval - amoeba shaped) and internal stresses will be
created as the tire rolls.  Given a symmetric, round, carcass the belt must
be a cylinder of exactly the right diameter and mounted so that it is
aligned with the sides of the tire.  Otherwise, the belt will be rolling in
a different direction than the tire. Kind of the way a dog sometimes runs,
or a vehicle that was in a bad accident and has major alignment problems
squirms sideways.

Suffice it to say that it is not easy to make a radial tire to close
tolerances.  It requires good design and construction, good manufacturing
tooling and technique, well trained and skilled workers and good old quality
control.  Radial tire construction does not tolerate sloppy manufacturing
anywhere near as much as the old bias ply construction.  (Most domestic tire
manufacturers, in my opinion, are still working in the bias ply tolerance
world.  I'm sure this is an unfair statement, but there is substantial truth
here.)

Michelin truck tires are excellent tires - likely the best truck radials,
warranty or no warranty.  Remember, if a manufacturer gives you what is
essentially an insurance policy (road hazard guarantee) the price of the
tire will have to be increased to cover the risk involved - EVEN THOUGH IT
HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE QUALITY OF THE TIRE.  IT DOESN'T COME FOR
NOTHING.  I would rather pay for the quality built into the tire rather than
the warranty.  To me, that is the best insurance.

Enough said.  Now go out and buy whatever makes you happy.

Sincerely,

Oliver Filippi