Re: [A/S] fuel mileage re: Excursion diesel

Try cleaning your fuel system, especially the injectors.  John Deere sells a
quality product that is made solely for diesel engines.  Mixing amount is
4oz to 16gal.  For my 44 gal tank I used 10oz of fuel conditioner.

You MUST add the conditioner to the fuel tank *before* adding fuel.  I
suppose this is so the conditioner gets evenly distributed in the fuel.

In my case I jumped right back onto I-95 in south Georgia, took the speed up
to 75mph and left it there.  My computer display continued to go upwards in
the miles per gallon category.  The highest it went was 21.2mpg.  The
highest I ever got before this was 17.1mpg.

If I could have continued to run 75mph on this same terrain I feel certain
that my mileage would have been right about the same or close to 21mpg.

Did Ford do something to MY Excursion 7.3 diesel engine that was not done to
yours?  I don't think so.  My exhaust "odor" is much cleaner now and it's
almost breathable and does not burn my eyes as it was doing before I cleaned
my fuel system.  The exhaust "notes" or sounds from my system did sound
different then when the truck was new so I had a sneaking suspicion that
something was up but I didn't know exactly what that was.

Now that I've cleaned my fuel system, the exhaust is much cleaner, the
"notes" are like they were when it was new and the amount of exhaust out the
pipe is one big whoosh! of steady airflow which it was *not* prior to
cleaning my system.

I know my Excursion got the mileage the computer stated as I then refilled
the tank when the indicator was at the half-way mark.  I got the mileage
math that shows me the computer is right and it's due to the fuel system
running much cleaner than before.

By the way, have you or any others changed your fuel/water separator yet?
Do you know when you are supposed to change this important filter?  Not fair
if you have to look it up as it's very important to know your engine and
your entire system.  My Excursion is running like never before. ;)

Fancy