Re: [A/S] Tow car

Hi David,

For 20+ years I've towed our 1977 31' Airstream with my 1975 Mercury Station
Wagon. The Mercury has a 460 CID V8 (tuned for regular gasoline) with the
full factory trailer towing package. The two vehicles are connected with a
Reese equalizing hitch and a dual cam sway control package.

Modifications to the Mercury by mechanics at my neighborhood performance
shop were minimal but included a profoundly larger transmission oil cooler,
increased carrying capacity of the tires and replacing the standard single
exhaust system with an oversize dual exhaust system. Otherwise, it's a
typical 1975 Mercury Wagon, but with an intense maintainance program.

The 1975 Mercury and 1977 31' Airstream are used yearly during our annual
Summer trips to favorite campgrounds in New York's Adirondack Mountains and
west into the New York's Finger Lakes Region. There are dozens of hills and
mountains in these areas as well as high speed Interstate highways. Our
Mercury (as outfitted) handles the Airstream with strength and stability.

As with all the tow vehicles we've used since1958, our Mercury averages
between 9-11 miles to the gallon of gasoline. If I want 7-8 miles to the
gallon, all I do is tromp on the accelerator, burn rubber and max the speed
limits. If I want 12-14 miles to the gallon, I drive with one eye on my
vacuum gauge and a feather foot on the accelerator. This is simple stuff
everyone knows.

There's a lot more I could share with you if you're interested. This is the
short answer to your question.

Terry -

mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net -
1975 Mercury Station Wagon (460 V8) -