Re: [A/S] Re: Tow Cars

be sure to look at the old issues of Popular Mechanics mag they did a
tow test with one of these Caddies and a 7,000# boat. They started in
Michigan and went south on I-75 to Flordia. It was white nuckles
all the way. One comment i remember that was mentioned in the article
was that the boat was too much for the car. The author thought a
lighter load would be better suited for the car. Sorry i don't remember the
issue it was in. Someone in GM has always remembered the days
when a car could tow. In the late 80's there was some talk of a car or
station wagon that they could build that could tow 5,000#. I think this
Caddy was an attempt since the then current front drive LeSabres etc.
had too much beef missing. Ever since this big Caddy only trucks and
vans recommended and built for towing. Ford did offer for a while a
tow package on the Crown Vic/Marquis in the early 90's for 5,000#
but cut it because of slow sales. A year ago or so Cam-Am rv's web
sight had one of these big Fords hooked up to what looked like a
28+ ft Airstream. And the Hensley Arrow promo vhs tape showes a
Mercury Marquis pulling another big Airstream. Heck the tape showes a Dodge
intrepid  pulling what looks like a 30' Airstream...that one has always
bothered me. I would like to talk to any one who towed with that combo and
see what it was like. From what I know it doesn't add up to be a good
package unless you limited your towing to a couple hundred feet a day max.
  steve O