Re: [A/S] Argosy Questions again. 79 auto that can tow 79 Argosy

Hi Ollphiast,

I've owned a 1975 Mercury Station Wagon for close to 25+ years. It has been
and still is a very capable tow vehicle.

This vehicle is equipped with a factory trailer towing package, a 460 CID
V-8, a transmission oil cooler almost as big as the radiator, an oversize
dual exhaust system and the list goes on.

Each year, Sandie and I use it  to tow one of our rigs during two months in
the summer. It's also our daily driver (every other day) during the spring
and fall.

As for repairs; I've found that performance shops around the country
generally have more know-how for doing the job competently than dealers or
garages. Give me a racing team mechanic any day. Also, the lack of OEM parts
have never been an issue for experienced mechanics.

You asked for ideas or suggestions. This is strictly my opinion. If you go
the route you're describing, I suspect you'll have an excellent chance of
ending up with a dynamite tow vehicle; one that will perform better than
anything you can buy for three times the money. Plus, repairs are likely
(says me) to cost about the same as most vehicles not within any warranty.

The yearly cosmetic body work on my Mercury has been minimal. Our home base
is located very close to small town America where prices are reasonable,
pride in workmanship is high and most service people are neighbors.

If you're looking for someone to disagree with you about buying an old
vehicle for towing, keep looking.  <grin>

Terry

1978 Ford Van E250 1975 Mercury Wagon