[A/S] GEICO

I agree.  But herein lies the problem.

When we insured the trailer with GEICO they asked what we thought it was worth.
I said I believed it would cost $25,000 to replace it since it was in mint condition, and
had an excellent maintenance history.

They NEVER indicated that we had the option of insuring for replacement value
versus "market value".  They NEVER suggested an appraisal or indicated there
would be any limit on the value.

We would GLADLY have paid extra premiums to guarantee that we could
replace it with a "like kind" unit.  We had no idea that the N.A.D.A. guide
did not include models older than 1986.

Yet when we made the claim, they initially tried to tell us there was a $10,000
maximum that could be paid out -- regardless of value.  When I pulled the
policy and challenged them, they changed the story to -- "well, it's only worth
about $8,000."

Why worry about the $10,000 maximum value if they don't acknowledge it is
worth more than that.

It's NOT FAIR for an insurance company to take your premiums, leading you
to believe you have coverage to replace your Airstream, then low-ball you
to save a buck!

At the very least they have a customer service problem in describing what coverage
is available, and since there is no "LOCAL AGENT" to deal with, it all depends
on the intelligence of the person you get on the phone.

As an aside, we also took out contents coverage, since we have a laptop, digital camera,
etc. that are carried in the Airstream.

GEICO tried to tell us that we didn't have contents coverage; that they don't even sell
it for travel trailers.  Again, I pulled out the policy, and VOILA, there it was with the
associated premium we paid for it.

Maybe now you can understand why we have a BAD TASTE in our mouth!

Since you seem to have knowledge of the insurance industry, can you refer us
to an appraiser who is qualified to appraise an Airstream?

Lane