Re: [A/S] Bowen Gas Water Heater

I rebuilt my heater completely. I replaced the relief valve, the
pilot, and the gas control. I just verified that the control was for a
propane use and the relief valve was rated the same as the one I
removed. The special tool I used to remove the control was a pipe
wrench. I cleaned the threads in the tank, and Teflon taped the
control threads and installed by hand tightening. The heater works
perfect. I believe it is a Bowen, they all run together after a while.
I called the manufacture and they provided little information, one
tech was helpful the other a blockhead. The RV dealer told me the
connections (Propane In ) on the thermostat/regulator had to be the
same size as the old one, not so. That is why reducers were made. I
ran a plumbing shop for a few years and rebuilt many a home heater
they are the same except for the propane. The regulator and the safety
are the most important Items. I did inspect the tank (Hydro) before
the rebuild. If you are not sure of you skills do not attempt a
rebuild as you can blow yourself up. I didn't save any money doing
this but did save the vintage look of the exterior.

If you weld a hole in a pressure vessle and don't hydro the tank after
you do this you may get a unwanted failure.

Jim N5TJZ