[A/S] Re: Need tow vehicle recommendations

I would say the weakest one on your list is the Cherokee, because of
size and unit body assembly.

THe Yukon=Tahoe. This is regular Yukon, not XL, which is like
Suburban. No real mechanical difference. GMC a little nicer inside.
More important to pick a good dealer.

I tow a 31' Excella with an 00 Mountaineer V-8 and a Hensley hitch.
The hitch made a big differnce in that rig.

I am not retired so I have to think about parking downtown and at
client's offices.  If that is an issue for you then do not get the
Suburban or Yukon XL (its twin) because of parking.  Otherwise they
do a very good job.

It strikes me that the newer trucks and SUV's have powerful engines,
which will probably pull the trailer you have in mind.  What you need
to consider is that the smaller SUV's may have trouble controlling
the towed trailer on the road.  I added air shocks to my rear axle,
and then sprung for the HEnsley and that is enough.

I am not of the school that you need a giant truck to pull a vintage
trailer.  Those trailers are lighter than the new ones, and were made
to be pulled by a family sedan at a time when car engines were
suffering from emission control issues.

The GMC Envoy has a 270 hp engine, and it is rated to tow up to 6000
or 6500 lbs, which is enough for a vintage trailer.

Durango is good SUV but I hear of quality issues.  Rides harder thaan
the Envoy, not because of being better to tow, but because the design
is getting dated.

THe Toyota has a Lexus V-8 It will pull OK up to around 5000 lbs.

Let us know what you decide

M. Ferro
00 Mountaineer 31 Excella Hensley