[A/S] E-mail while traveling

What is the best way to send and receive email while traveling on the road?
I know about "Pocket Mail" but I find that their key board is very small and
would seem to make it hard to type on for someone that knows how to type on
a standard keyboard.  Does anyone know of a device that will send and
receive email from a public pay phone (like Pocket Mail can) but has a
larger keyboard?  I would prefer that I use my own ISP and that way when we
travel friends wouldn't have to use another email address for us when we are
on the road.

Chuck West
in Up State NY
1999 Safari with 1500 Dodge Ram p/u