[A/S] Synthetic oil in your tow vehicle

Steve O says;

Synthetic motor oil removes old sludge and varnish in the system.
back them most people didn't change filters thinking that if the oil
was to last a year the filter should also... when i switched to
synthetic motor oil i took a 1200 mile trip and my engine sounded
funny when first starting after 1,000 miles from home. like an old
engine sounds and the oil light takes a while to go out. Well I spun
off the filters ( i was running 2) put new on and topped off the oil.
the first time i started after the filter change the oil light went
out as it does on a new engine!(at that time the veh had 130,000
miles ) So to make the story short your cleaning your engine so throw
away/recycle the dirty filter when dirty. add a new one and top off
with fresh oil( and use the highest quality filter you can find made
for your veh., your really not spending more $$$$).     Steve O

"and the answer to this?"

Okay, I,m gonna jump in here, and Hunter - I don't intend to
advertise here, I just wanna give out some info that some may find
helpful.

The ideal time to switch a vehicle to synthetic oil is after 6000
miles which is enough time to seat all parts and wear them in.  When
switching a higher mileage (thirty, forty thousand or more) vehicle
to synthetics, a crankcase cleaner should be used first.  I only know
of one company that makes a crankcase cleaner which is not just
Kerosene, and that is Amsoil.  There are probably others, but I know
of none, and I would not put kerosene in MY engine.  I can say only
one thing about crankcase cleaner when switching.  Use it.  There is
nothing worse than filling your engine up with nice clean 'expensive'
synthetics, and then having Steve O's experience.  Better to clean it
first, then pour in all that nice clean golden nectar with nice clean
filters and get some mileage before it gets filthed up.

Now - filteration.  To my knowledge, there are only three oil filters
on the market which are adequate for extended drain purpose.  These
are sold by Amsoil, Ford as Motorcraft, and Mobil 1.  Only two of
these can be deemed to remain the same or better quality, and these
are Amsoil and Ford.  Ford is cheaper, and do contract their filters
out, so could change quality, although they have not for thirty years
or so.  Amsoil has a vested interest in providing filters to match
their products, so they are guaranteed to remain suitable for
extended drain synthetic products.  If anyone on this list wishes
more info on this subject, I invite them to contact me off list.  I
will provide any info I can, and it will also be without charge.

Hunter - if'n I did bad to post this, let me know and I won't doit
namore. (said as he rubs his boot toe in the dirt and looks down and
to the left)

Tom