Re: [A/S] New Duratorque Axles

The Henschen axles on my '97 Safari are bolt-on units, as were the
axles on my (former) '83 Sovereign.  I changed the wheels on the
Safari from 14" to 15" and tires from load range "C" to "D" to get
a better margin of safe load.  The service manager at Airstream
told me that the 15" wheels would fit and that all new Safaris
were equipped with 15" wheels.

I recommend that you measure the wheel well height from the axle
C/L to verify the clearance.  Since the axle is rigidly attached
to the frame the distance should be constant ( not like SOBs which
put the axles on leaf springs and shackles).

Getting the new axle installed should not be a serious problem.
But be sure that it is properly aligned.  This can be done by
using a steel tape measure to get the distance from the hitch ball
to the axle spindle C/L equal on both sides.  Obviously, unequal
distance means excessive tire wear and more pull required by your
tow vehicle.

My tandem axle Safari was realigned by Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar
Falls, Iowa.  They are an Airstream dealer and did a super job.  I
drove 600+ miles to get to them, but the trip was worth it.
Good Luck!
Jim
'97 Safari 25'
2000 Ford F-250 CC 4x4 V-10