Re: [A/S] 30' A/S for fulltiming

Joe,

I haven't owned a 5th wheel so my answer is biased and not based on complete
knowledge of both candidates.

I have, however, owned Airstreams for years and lived in a 34'er for a year
while working in cities away from home.  It actually provided far more space
than I needed.  In my opinion, a 30' to 34' Airstream would be completely
adequate for full-timing.  You'll probably receive an answer from Terry
Tyler in a few days who has full-timed most of the year in an A/S for many
years.

The only space "advantages" offered by a 5th wheel are greater head room and
basement storage.  Personally, I see no advantage of the added headroom.  It
is primarily a psychological benefit that gives the illusion of more space.
You can't walk around in or sit in overhead space.  It is space that cannot
be used but must be heated and cooled at a price.  The increased basement
storage space is probably handy but it comes at the expense of giving up
similar storage space in the bed, under the shell, of your truck.

The disadvantages of additional space offered by 5th wheel trailers are
significant.  The taller profile puts you at greater risk of striking the
canopy of fueling stations and other overhanging structures.  The taller
profile requires much more power to pull at any given road speed than an A/S
and consumes far more fuel.  Towing into headwinds with Airstreams is
relatively insignificant, not so with a 5th wheel.   Fifth wheel pullers are
forced to slow to very uncomfortable speeds or get off the road for a day
when facing strong head winds.

Almost every 5th wheel manufactured today includes one or more slide-outs.
While comfortable I'm sure, slide-outs restrict access to some RV parks and
campgrounds, increase the complexity and failure rate of the unit, and make
lunch stops while on the road much less practical.  When in, slide-outs take
up considerable floor space which restrict (but not prevent) access to the
galley and restroom.

Each is entitled to his own choices but I personally see no true advantages
to owning a 5th wheel.  If I want home-like space I stay home.  I admire the
practicality of Airstreams.  I think most people can take everything they
truly need along with them in an Airstream and the bed of their pickup truck
puller.

As Hunter suggested, tow vehicle requirements matter.  Truck requirements
for a 5th wheel are far greater than for an A/S.  If you already own or plan
to own a one-ton dually p/u, the rest of this won't matter to you.  I also
subscribe to a discussion list for Dodge Cummins-powered trucks.  I have
read a considerable amount of factual information on that web site and in
the quarterly newsletter about towing and hauling ratings.  Although you'll
see many 3/4 ton trucks pulling 5th wheels, even an occasional grossly
overloaded 1/2 ton, nothing less than a one-ton dually pickup actually has
adequate gross vehicle weight rating and rear axle rating to legally carry
the majority of 5ers.  It is rare today to find a fifth wheel with a loaded
pin weight of less than 2500 pounds, or more.  That will exceed the GVWR and
rear axle rating of every 3/4 ton truck on the road.  Salesmen and
manufacturer's brochures will talk in vague terms of unloaded weights.  When
the puller is loaded with fuel and passengers and a mid-size to large 5th
wheel is loaded for travel, it is too heavy for anything but a dual rear
wheel equipped one ton truck.

Just my opinion.  You asked.

Harvey