[A/S] Trouble with gas monitor panel

Hi All,

I'm having trouble with the gas monitoring panel in the stove vent hood.
Here is the progression.

  1) at delivery of the new A/S both tanks show empty.
  2) tanks are filled and both tanks show full
  3) begin to use gas and tank 1 indicator begins to go down
  4) tank 1 shows empty, tank two shows full and this is the case
  5) I run out of gas with tank 2 still showing full
  6) I disconnect both leads at the tanks themselves and both
      tanks show full (tanks are off the A/S)

Each tank has an analog gauge on the tank itself and both show
empty and they are empty. The leads come off these analog gauges.
This is a two stage automatic regulator. There is a lever on the regulator
that will point to either tank showing "supply". I assume you turn this
lever to a full tank when removing the other for filling. It may have a
center detent but I can't tell.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mark