[A/S] New Member - New Owner - 1968 A/S Overlander

Hi, just got a 1968 Airstream Overlander. Have started taking the before
pictures of our A/S. Feel free to check it out if you like.

http://www.wolfstartradingpost.com/1968_Airstream_Overlander/Overlander.htm.

I have a LOT of work, and learning ahead of me. This is our first
trailer and we are really excited about the fun in bringing this A/S
back to life. So many Ideas, So many questions. SO MANY COOL THINGS TO
BUY!! =-D

Ok, replacing the floor is a must, and cannot be avoided. It is possible
that we may be able to get away with replacing just part of the floor,
but I am thinking we don't want to have to do this ever again so we
might just bite the bullet and do the whole thing. <groan> I am hoping
that once its done I have to never see the sub flooring again. I
understand that there is an issue with the thickness of the plywood, but
I am not quite sure what all of the problems are. I remember reading
that it causes an issue with the sink plumbing being able to reach to be
reconnected. At least that is the way we read it. We had planned on
probably replacing a lot of the plumbing anyway because we wanted to be
certain there was absolutely no leaks.

Are there any other issues we should be concerned about?

Are there any special tips on replacing the flooring?

I understand the flooring does go under the wall. How in the world do I
get it under there? Should I cut the sub flooring in half so I can wedge
it in under the wall? If I did I would suppose that I would need to
stagger the location of where we cut the wood for the floor. I want to
avoid doing anything that would weaken the structure so let me know.

What is the best method of attaching the flooring to the frame? Should I
use screws, rivets, adhesive?

We were planning on using tongue & groove sub flooring for a tighter
seal. Would it be ok to use a wood sealer on the floorings top and
bottom sides to help protect the flooring against moisture? At first we
were thinking like Thompson's water sealer, but the people at Home Depot
were saying that the sealer Behr makes is a better product. Any
thoughts? Is this overkill?

I have what could be a major problem with the floor at the door. The
wood floor there has pretty much rotted away. There is a piece of
aluminum skin there that was under the wood floor that is no longer
riveted to the metal frame. Lifted up the skin and saw it was where the
door step goes to when its up. I found however that the metal frame
under the door has deteoriated due to rust with parts of it rusted away
completely. It is still kind of solid and can probably be either cleaned
up and strengthened with an additional piece of steel or replaced. Not
really sure what would be the best way to go on this.. I will put
pictures of the problem on my website. This problem I definitely need
suggestions on.

Anyway, I'm off now to print some of the pictures we have taken. Figured
it was easy to use them to draw on for planning what to do.

One of the things I thought of was that I absolutely hate the door to
the bathroom. There is enough space there that I am planning to design a
pocket door that would store inside the wall, and pull out when the
bathroom is in use. Not sure what was originally there, but I am sure
this door wasn't it.

Well enough blabbering from me. Just thought I would say hi and
introduce me and my new project.

Bob Loveland
WolfStar Trading Post

Hey, by the way, are any of you using the thing from
http://www.sewersolution.com/index.html ? Its a sewer solution jet pump.
We don't have the hose, etc for our unit, and this just looked like a
great Idea. Wanted some feedback on it before we got it and found out
that it didn't really work or something.