[A/S] Old Dometic Refrigerator in 61 Bambi

From Eric and Linda. We are just beginning! The old Dometic Ref. in
the Bambi is still beautiful, but I don't know what I should do. Is
it true the old univolt output was 12 volts "AC"?  If I plan to
replace it with a new power converter, will the old refrigerator run
of the 12 volts DC?  Should I remove the refrigerator and do
anything to it before I run a test?  Just hooking up to a battery
won't do, I'm assuming, because I need regulated constant voltage,
right?