[A/S] Re: heating with oven.

Phil points out that his oven has an exhaust to the outside, as does
ours.Having an oven with an exhaust to the outside will not save your
life unless it is combined with an inlet that provides a flow if
fresh air from outside, AND that flow refreshes the area where you
are breathing. The two poor ladies I found dead were in a room with
an open chimney about 7 inches diameter reaching clear to the sky.
Because of the cold weather they had closed all windows and doors and
fitted excellent draught-proofing. There was no way the carbon
dioxide and monoxide could go up the chimney without being replaced
by ventilation, so they died. The Airstream furnace design recognises
all these dangers, and,if properly maintained, is an excellent
heater. I would never use the oven or hob for heating. To keep warm
in severe conditions in the Airstream I attempt to improve the
insulation of the large areas of glass at either end. So far we have
used thick cardboard sheets between the drapes and the glass. These
were designed to fit inside car windscreens in hot weather. They cost
under $2 from Wal-Mart, and have a "need help-call police1" message
in huge letters on one side. We always double-check to make sure this
isn't on the outside!! These help prevent cold spots which form near
our backs in the evenings, and by our heads in bed, no matter what
the air temperature is in the trailer. If it got still colder, I
would design some form of blanket to fit over the glass, either
inside or outside. Colder still, and I'd buy a 4 season (double!)
sleeping bag, but I'd never use the oven or hob for heating. Nick.-