[A/S] Airstream Heating Issues In Cold Weather

A number of interesting issues were raised a few days ago concerning
improving cold weather temperature control in an Airstream by installing a
better thermostat and winterizing with better sealing and covering of roof
vents.

One of the best and most practical methods I have found to improve heating
is to use the electric heat strip in the roof-mounted air conditioning unit.
I don't know if it is installed in all newer A/Ss or remains an option but
the strip can be installed in the various brands of RV air conditioners in
use dating at least back to the early '80s, maybe to all ac units in use.
The strip can be purchased from any A/S or generic RV dealer for less than
$100.

The heat strip alone will warm my 31' A/S in very cold weather but provides
no heat for plumbing lines and tanks that reside under the trailer floor.  I
have found the best heating is provided by using both the ac heat strip and
the propane furnace.  (of course this can't be done without outside power or
a generator) Use of the electric heat strip precludes refilling propane
bottles twice a week in very cold weather as Hunter described and also
provides the advantage of excellent air circulation by the powerful and
continuous-running ac fan.  As we all know, hot air rises.  The ac unit fan
circulates the warmed air which would tend to collect along the trailer
ceiling.  Using the gas hot air furnace at the same time provides additional
heating capacity and warms the tanks and water lines as well.  The temp
settings of each appliance can be balanced so that both will cycle off and
on.

Don't make the same mistake I made.  During a recent 9 degree night in
Flagstaff, AZ  I made the mistake of using too much electric heat and,
apparently, not enough propane forced air heat.  The trailer was warm and
comfortable but the next day I discovered a leaking plastic tee fitting in
the water system low point drain line under the wardrobe closet floor.  I
assume the fitting froze and split because I didn't use enough forced air
heat to keep that area above freezing.

If you ever have the choice between buying an Airstream with double-pane
glass and one without, buy the double-paned trailer.  This older trailer I
have now has double-paned glass.  It holds the temperatures far better than
the previous trailer I owned which was a newer and much more expensive 34'
with two gas furnaces with separate thermostats.  With double-paned windows,
the problem of rapid temperature drop between cycles of the forced air
furnace is almost eliminated.  When I slept in the 34' trailer with my bald
head near the rear window of the 34'er on very cold nights, I had to wear a
stocking cap to be comfortable because of the cold air near the rear window.
With double-paned windows in this trailer my head remains warm and I am
comfortable.

Harvey