[A/S] re: Our Safari

Hey Dan,

I'm glad you used the word "maybe" in that last sentence.  Who knows, ten
years from now the Safari might fit your needs quite well, especially if you
continue to maintain it every year, and particularly if you have hopes of
exploring different warm spots on the continent each winter.

Everyone knows there are campgrounds around the country where the maximum
size RV allowed is 25' and not an inch more. I never used to pay attention
to that  because of a cocky assumption that "I can park it anywhere." That
wasn't always true and my backing out skills got a lot of practice. The one
good thing about it is I'm now pretty good at backing up.

If one of the campgrounds with 25' limit campsites turns out to be a place
you really enjoy, then your 22' Safari might be just the ticket. During
February 1-3, we'll be boondocking in a parking lot at the Annual Seafood
Fesitval in Everglade City, FL. Nearby is Chokoloskee Island Park where 25'
is the RV limit and every beach bum RVer knows it. Those who winter there
love it and come back every year.

But, that's not why I'm commenting on your post. Over the years, we've seen
retirees buy "bigger and better" RVs which consumed significant portions of
their equity. The problem is that later on, they were dissatisfied with
their choice. Sometimes, they did it twice and were twice dissatisfied. What
a waste of hard earned money (in depreciation alone).  My point? Be aware of
this as the years increase.

Every trip we take with our '67 22' Safari has a common experience
associated with it. At least once, an RVer (non-Airstreamer) will comment to
us about how they wishe they kept the small RV they used to have  before
they bought the elephant (or whatever they call their big rig). More than
half of these people used to travel with a small Airstream. I'm sure you've
had similar experiences. There must be a lesson in there someplace.

An artist friend of ours has towed his '60 20' Airstream to South Padre
Island every winter for 30 years. He's in his 90s, is agile and delights in
"parking it any damn place I please."  His favorite place is on the flats
"where the high tide doesn't usually come." We've never been willing to park
that close to catastrophe, but we've always admired how easily he enjoys
life in his small Airstream. He still travels with hope in his heart and an
open mind to new experiences.  I'm sure "attitude" is partly why life is so
joyful for him.

My point? The more places you visit where you can enjoy your small
Airstream, the longer you are likely to keep it and the richer you're likely
to be when you retire (in more ways than money).

Travel far and wide as you explore the nooks and crannies of this
magnificent country,

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net