[A/S] Furnace and Battery

Barbara from Ohio  here once again.

We are doing the final rundown on our '73 International Ambassador.
Now we are having a furnace problem too.

We just bought a new battery and the folks we bought it from said it
was charged.  To make sure we can boondock we decided to run the
furnace all day on battery. The heat stayed on until around 10
tonight and it stopped heating and the fan stopped and the battery is
dead.

Maybe we are asking too much from the battery and should use only our
parlor stove which does not run a fan. I assume if we cannot hook up
to electricity we cannot expect much from our furnace correct?

Is it correct to think the battery is charging when you are running
your truck down the road?  I'm pretty sure the battery is charging
when you plug in too, just not sure about the "going down the road"
part.

Thanks again to all who are helping us!

Barbara