Re: [A/S] drapes

I'm in the process of  washing with very hot sudsy water (no rinse) while
still hanging.  The curtain shows most soil where you close and at the bottom
in the living room area by the couch where they have been leaned against.
This is in my mom's 1973.  So far I have been pleased.  Replacement curtains
would be approximately $800.  The existing curtains are worn in a few spots
but otherwise just fine but dirty.  I do not want to have them dry cleaned
for fear they will shred.  Also, beacuse of age,  in my opinion all the
plastic tabs should be removed and resewn.  I use a hot sudsy terry cloth rag
to brush over entire curtain but really saturate on the dirty sports.  Also,
I can wipe the backside of curtain that collects a lot of dust very easily
because it is the non-shrinking curtain liner.  So far so good.  Whatever
shrinkage is kept at a minimum due to the curtain remaining hung.  This
technique was a last resort.  The curtains were so dusty and dirty but too
old to dry clean.  I have been pleased but I wouldn't recommend this
technique unless you are like my situation and was willing to risk doing this
as the last resort.   Also, I have been washing down the entire interior of
her trailer with a citric orange cleaner I bought from Home Depot.  This has
been the only cleaner able to remove that sticky feeling from the interior
liner.  It has been great!  If you are interested I will find exact name.
Good luck.